Tuesday 10 January 2012

Free Cycle - Free Crap

I'm sure you all know what freecycle is, but incase you dont then I'll explain.

It's basically a message board for your local area where people request or put things up they want to get rid of....and guess what it's free!

So seen as I've just started this sewing machine malarkey I thought I would post a request for some fabrics, buttons and sewing related items. I've offered people some of the rubbish accumulating in our flat I so didn't feel to bad about asking for something.

A nice lady got back to me saying she had lots of fabrics so she would happily give me a bag of them, and also throw in some buttons. So I arranged to go and collect it all tonight after work from a nearby village.

So I put the address in the sat nav and off I went. Now I feel I need to justify things a bit here, I only passed my test in the last six months so I'm not the best driver yet (not sure I ever will be to be honest). I'm happy driving around town, on motorways etc just not all that experienced with narrow country roads or driving in the dark. Neither it seems at driving with a sat nav, well it was the first time I'd used it.

After taking numerous wrong turns, cutting everybody up at the back end of rush hour and fearing I would soon be pulled over for drunk driving (I obviously wasn't drunk but I did veer a little whilst checking the screen), Anyway I finally managed to find the house, collect my haul and head home.

A round trip that was supposed to take me twenty five minutes actually took an hour - eek!

I got home and discovered that what I'd collected didn't quite make up for my scary driving experience. Not that I'm ungrateful for what I was given, I mean I thinks it's very good to give things away and try to recycle unwanted items at the same time as doing a good deed for another whilst saving the planet by not filling up the landfills and.......anyway see for yourself.

My haul



Some lovely patterns from the 80's that I'm sure will come in handy next....urrrmmm......if......perhaps.....


A big bag of assorted buttons. I'm sure I will use these, especially after the lady told me that they had been handed down to her through the many generations of women in her family but she could no longer keep up the tradition of using them as her hands didn't work as they once did - arrrrrrggggggg!!!!


Lots of different materials and fabrics.


 And a sole tassel


Not quite sure what I'm going to do with it all. Maybe I can make my Nan a monogrammed quilt for next christmas, full of buttons and topped off with a tassel.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you do with the gold lame....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's obviously going to be the material I use to write Nans name on the quilt. Monograms have to be metallic looking, preferably gold, dont you know ;-)

    ReplyDelete