Sunday 5 February 2012

Make Lego Models Not War

As the weather was horrible yesterday, although no snow just lots of rain, I decided to start building the Lego Camper Van I got for christmas. Eeeeek very exciting! :-D

So at 8pm I opened the box and began tipping all of the 1332 pieces out of the packets.







For the first hour or so its just putting together the basic framework.






But then the number plate goes on :-) The set is based on the 1962 classic Volkswagen Camper Van or 'Splittie' hence the number plate is 1962. Gotta love Lego for their detail. 


The 'Splittie' had the iconic engine in the back, so of course the lego model has this too. 




After about two hours of building some more detail starts going in, these little extras have to be my favourite thing about making the sets.




Even a t-shirt to go inside the cupboard, although I'm not sure who this is supposed to fit! Its massive for a Lego man or any other character that would fit inside the VW.


After three hours the VW interior was taking shape, but I still had gazilions of pieces left.




By midnight the pieces had been considerably narrowed down and it was looking more and more liked the finished piece.




My fingers started to ache around this point but I had to carry on and finish it before going to bed. I just had the roof and the front piece to go....and by 1am I was finished :-D

How awesome!!!!!!

The three way split and safari windows



Roof rack and air vent




The engine inside and out



The outside view of the closet and petrol cap


The front cabin bench with movable gear stick, angled dashboard and speedometer






The back entrance and bed



Nice cosy bedroom including a piece of art with the initials of the Lego set designer John-Henry Harris



The bed packed up for day time use



Sink and cupboard


The inside, with folding table put away and the wine glass still out ;-0



Here is a video with the designer of the set explaining it :-)



The set doesn't come with any Lego men but I thought some men were needed to test it out. Santa Clause kindly took a group of them to a camping meet.





Where they met like minded campers




 built snowmen and spent their time round the fire drinking and eating




They're a bit of an odd bunch though, some police officers, builders, firemen etc. Maybe they were dressed up ready to play a murder mystery game ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Looks brilliant and love the camping 'meet'! I want a real one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to say LMB, you come up trumps with this one. I could feel quite at home at a meet with your Lego gang, seeing as I'm knee high to a grasshopper myself! AA xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it AA :-) They'll be staying the the blue dotty field all week ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a great meet at blue dotty field with your buddies. Seeing as how we're all tidgy little bods, we climbed up a human ladder to reached the top of some of the vans 'n' tents for last bits of tweaking. Good time was had by all, shame you couldn't join us. Made any duvet covers for your tidgy buddies yet? Looking forward to your next revelation, bye4now, AA xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol Lego men duvet covers, I'm not sure my sewing machine would like that, they'd be too titchy. But I guess what I've just made is still a cover to keep them all cosy and snug!

    Glad you had a nice time at the blue dotty field, maybe I'll make it next time ;-)

    ReplyDelete